Accidents happen all the time. Even when we use caution, we sometimes get hurt because others fail to act reasonably and safely. After an accident, the recovery process can be slow and painful.
If you have been hurt because of someone else’s carelessness, you may be able to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. A Texas personal injury lawyer from Kirkendall Dwyer LLP is ready to help with your case. You can start by contacting us today for a free consultation.
Examples of Personal Injury Cases
Any number of circumstances can cause accidents, making injuries unfortunately common in Texas. In fact, unintentional injury is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States.
Personal injury cases cover a wide range of accidents resulting from someone else’s failure to act reasonably. A person or company’s negligence can lead to many types of accidents and personal injury cases, including the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents: At-fault drivers may be held liable for accidents involving cars, trucks, or other motor vehicles.
- Slip and fall accidents: When someone fails to maintain safe conditions on their property and someone falls and gets hurt as a result, the property owner or relevant business can be held responsible.
- Maritime injuries: Texas port, waterway, or maritime accident can be traumatic for you and your family.
- Brain injuries: When someone’s negligent actions lead to a brain injury, it may be possible to recover compensation from them. The specific cause of the brain injury (such as a car crash, slip and fall, and more) will influence the type of claim you can file. Traumatic brain injuries are even more severe and can put a strain on you and your family.
- Catastrophic injuries: These cases involve injuries that cause severe disability, disfigurement, or have extensive recovery times.
- Spinal cord injuries: These injuries can cause long-term damage and disability, including paralysis. They are often caused by falls and car accidents.
- Medical malpractice: Claims involving harm caused by a medical professional’s actions or inaction, such as failing to diagnose a medical condition or making an error during surgery.
- Nursing home abuse: These involve instances of neglect and abuse of residents, such as senior citizens and people with disabilities, at nursing facilities.
- Wrongful death: Similar to personal injury lawsuits, except that the accident resulted in death rather than injury and close family members file the lawsuit on their behalf. The damages that may be included in a wrongful death lawsuit also vary from a standard personal injury lawsuit.
Steps to Take after You Are Injured in Texas
Your first priority after being injured in an accident should be to get medical treatment. This could include emergency medical care, depending on the severity of your injuries. For example, if you suspect you have a broken bone or a cut that requires stitches, you should seek emergency medical care. You should also follow up with your doctor if you discover injuries or notice other problems later.
Seeking medical attention helps document your injuries from the accident as thoroughly as possible. Clear documentation can strengthen any personal injury claims that you may choose to file later.
Do I Qualify to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
If you are injured in an accident caused by someone else’s carelessness, you may qualify to file a personal injury lawsuit. A person or group that fails to act reasonably or exercise certain safety precautions may be held civilly liable for how their negligence caused you to get hurt.
If you are unsure about whether you qualify to file a personal injury lawsuit in Texas, you can consult with an attorney to understand your options. An attorney can review and help you understand the potential benefits of filing a personal injury lawsuit in your situation and offer guidance and representation every step of the way.
Why File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
People may file Texas personal injury lawsuits for many different reasons. Whether you want to hold an individual or group accountable for unsafe behavior, or you have extensive medical bills and other expenses because of the accident, a personal injury claim may be a great option. The potential compensation awarded in a successful case can help people recover their financial losses after an accident and access the care and resources they need to live more comfortably.
A successful personal injury claim may reward you compensation for a variety of damages, including the following:
- Your pain and suffering – both physical and emotional.
- Medical bills related to your injuries and recovery.
- The income you lost from not being able to work during your recovery time.
How Can a Texas Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
Personal injury lawyers specialize in cases where someone is hurt by another individual, a company, or an organization. Our legal team can confirm whether you may have a valid claim at your initial consultation and go over what filing a personal injury lawsuit would entail in your circumstances. We act as your legal counsel and work to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. Specifically, we can advocate for maximum compensation based on the extent and severity of your losses.
If you choose to work with our firm, we will work to make your case go as smoothly as possible for you. Our team can gather evidence to help determine who may be at fault and facilitate communication with everyone involved in your case. We also help with all the paperwork, so you do not miss any deadlines in your case.
Can I afford to hire a personal injury lawyer?
At Kirkendall Dwyer LLP, we operate on contingency fees. If your case is successful, we take a percentage of the compensation you recover to cover your legal costs. This fee structure gives you full access to our services without worrying about upfront legal costs. We can explain how our fee structure works during your initial consultation.
Schedule a Consultation with a Texas Personal Injury Attorney Today
The legal team at Kirkendall Dwyer LLP is ready to help you with your personal injury case. You can start with a free and confidential consultation. This consultation allows our Texas personal injury lawyers to determine whether you have a legitimate claim and go over how our firm can help you.
Contact us today to schedule your free, no-obligation legal consultation.